While feasting during this festive time of year, many families turn to rich red wine as their beverage of choice. The fruity and complex liquid is great for pairing with the heavy foods of the holidays. However, it is also notorious for staining teeth. In fact, many turn to teeth whitening once all the holiday cheer has drained from their cups.
If you want to avoid staining your pearly whites this year, continue reading. You’ll find several tips for keeping your smile lit up like a holiday candle.
Why Does Red Wine Stain So Effectively?
The deep color of red wine comes from pigmented molecules known as chromogens. These compounds, along with tannins and acids in wine, can adhere to the enamel of your teeth, leading to discoloration over time.
The enamel of your teeth isn’t rock-solid. They’re full of tiny holes called pores. When pigments and chemicals come into contact with your teeth, they can slip down into these pores. This is what ultimately causes the stains to stick around for so long.
Professional teeth whitening treatments from your dentist can get rid of these stains without issue. But what if you want to avoid them?
How Can I Avoid Red Wine Stains?
There are many strategies you can adopt while you imbibe to keep your teeth stain-free. Here are some of the best:
While You Drink:
- Hydrate While Indulging – Drink water while enjoying red wine to help prevent it from clinging to your teeth.
- Use Cheese as a Shield – Eat cheese alongside red wine. This delicious dairy snack creates a protective layer on your teeth, reducing the direct contact between the wine and enamel.
- Sip Strategically – Try not to swish or hold the wine in your mouth for extended periods.
- Use a Straw – Use a straw to minimize the contact between red wine and your teeth.
- Immediate Rinse – Rinse your mouth with water immediately after enjoying red wine to reduce its impact on your teeth.
- Prompt Oral Hygiene – Brush your teeth about 30 minutes after consuming red wine to remove any residual stains.
- Choose a Whitening Toothpaste – Consider using whitening toothpaste to counteract the effects of staining. Be sure to look for key whitening ingredients like hydrogen peroxide and carbamide peroxide. Stay away from charcoal or other abrasives.
- Professional Assistance – If you notice persistent stains, ask your dentist about professional teeth whitening options to restore your pearly whites to pre-wine brightness.
The holidays are a time to celebrate, and red wine can certainly add to the joy of the season. By incorporating these preventive measures into the festivities, you can savor every sip while preserving your smile.
About the Practice
At Legacy Dental, their expert team of highly qualified dentists work together to create customized treatment plans for all of your smile goals. Their practice uses the latest dental technology and techniques to ensure that your treatment is fast and comfortable. If you need help, their friendly staff are standing by. To schedule an appointment, call (306) 763-7841 or visit the website to learn more.